Monday, May 21, 2012

Thrifting Adventures

I’ve been wanting to write a post about thrifting for awhile now. Maybe I’ll make it a regular thing! Because let me tell you, there are few things I love more than thrifting. I go to a local thrift store usually once a week, but if I can’t go that often I definitely go at least twice a month. It’s too hard not to!

One thing that there is never a short supply of at the thrift store is vases. Lucky for me, I am a vase junky. With that said, here were my findings from my weekly trip today:

I can never have too many vases. I love them. I just really enjoy having flowers throughout the house; whether they’re artificial or just something I picked from the yard, I don’t really care. They’re just pretty to look at.

One reason that I love the thrift store is that everything you find has a story. Anyone can go to Target or other big brand name stores and find cute house things, but then everyone just ends up with the same stuff. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some Target, but I also love originality. Take this mug turned vase for example.

It’s hard to capture on camera, but it is unique. It is obviously old and difficult to see, but there is a ship on the front and some writing that says “Santa Monica, CA.” It’s interesting to think about where this little vase has been over the years, and now it’s in my home!

It’s no secret that I love vintage things, hence my frequent trips to the thrift store. I’d like to think that my home is developing a “vintage modern” type of feel. Here’s a few of my other thrift store favorite finds from the past few months:

This old teapot and a couple cute white mugs. I’ll probably never use them, but I think they’d look really cute on a shelf above the kitchen sink.

This awesome pillar candle holder. It has a real vintage characteristic feel to it. I love it!

This one actually was gifted to me from my good friend Sarah, but I noticed the 1.99 price tag sticker and recognized it from the thrift store! It fits in nicely with my bedroom décor. And yes, that is a little of my own creative photography in the frame.

So there they are, just a few of my many finds. Some people find it difficult to actually stumble upon cool or interesting things when they go thrifting, but not I! If I could offer a couple pieces of advice it would firstly be to DIG! You can’t just casually walk through a thrift store and expect to find gems. I look through every nook and cranny of that store when I go. Things are often picked through and switched out, which is why I go so often. I do think that finding good furniture can be difficult, I rarely see pieces that I like or think I could change. But finding the knick knack stuff is what’s fun anyway! My other advice would be to go wherever  your eye draws you to. When I’m looking at the shelves of items, I step back for a moment to take it all in and that’s when things start to catch my eye.

Thrifting is a fun way to get creative and most of my favorite pieces in my house have come from a thrift store. And you can’t beat those prices! My grand total for those three vases in the beginning of this post was $2.98. So if you’re into finding unique, one of a kind items, I suggest hitting your local farmer’s market or thrift store! Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment